My long term disability claim has been denied. I don’t know what to do.

Forum Value Personal Finances My long term disability claim has been denied. I don’t know what to do.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Green Tea

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after years of feeling extremely tired, and dealing with pain every single day.

I made a long term disability claim to my insurance company, and it was denied. I received a letter telling me they would not give me anything because I was exaggerating things, and according to them I was perfectly able to go to work. So they pretty much think I’m just being lazy, and that if I feel like I’m in pain, I should just take a painkiller and go to work!

At first I was so angry, but now I’m feeling sad and desperate. It’s incredible that insurance companies care so little about the people they’re supposed to be helping.

I don’t know what to do, I don’t want to try to submit my claim again, just to be called a liar again. Some days I’m in so much pain I feel like crying.

Miss Venus

I’m so sorry to hear that! And it’s terrible that you are being treated like this, on top of being in pain because of Fibromyalgia.

My advice would be to not give up hope. You should look for a good lawyer who can help you handle the situation.

Green Tea

I feel like asking a lawyer to help me with my claim would be very expensive, I can’t afford it right now.

Miss Venus

But a disability lawyer could help you get the insurance benefits you deserve. A disability lawyer can go to court on your behalf to fight the insurance company, and provide medical evidence that you are in pain and unable to go to work.

Sadly, many people who become disabled have to fight their insurance companies to be able to get the long term disability benefits they need. A disability lawyer will be able to advise you and to help you resolve this stressful and unfair situation.

Green Tea

That sounds like what I need. But I really don’t think I can afford a lawyer right now.

PixelPixie

I recommend getting in touch with Mark Yazdani, a disability lawyer in Toronto. Like many other disability lawyers, he doesn’t charge any upfront fees, but only gets paid if and when you win your case and receive money.

He also offers a free initial consultation, so it wouldn’t cost you a thing to just go meet him and talk about your situation. Then, if you feel like he isn’t the right lawyer for you, you just have to look for another lawyer.

Green Tea

Ok, thank you. I think I’ll give him a call.

PixelPixie

Good! I’m sure you won’t regret it, he’s helped my uncle with his long term disability claim and he did an awesome job. Very appreciated.

Tempura

Yes, I agree that you should talk to a disability lawyer. It’s easy to lose hope in a situation like this, because you can feel angry, sad or betrayed. But disability lawyers know how to deal with insurance companies that don’t want to pay for long term disability claims. Talking to a lawyer is really the best thing you could do. Don’t give up!

Green Tea

Thank you.

SouthernBelle

You need to hire a disability lawyer who operates on a contingency fee basis. That means it won’t cost you a thing to go to court with your case, and your lawyer will get paid only when you receive your long term disability benefits. This way you have nothing to lose, and you won’t have to pay high legal fees while you’re in a difficult financial situation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.