My husband and I want a divorce, but we’re confused about how to separate our property.

Forum Value General Chat My husband and I want a divorce, but we’re confused about how to separate our property.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

PixelPixie

My husband and I want a divorce. Things will go smoothly, we’re both ready to move on and I think we’ll remain best friends. We have no children together, but we bought a house together and many furniture sets, and now we’re confused about how we’re supposed to separate our property.

Can we just divide things randomly? Or is there a proper way to do it?

Shrimpy

That’s nice to read! I think it’s really sad when a couple gets a nasty divorce, so I’m glad to read things are going well for the two of you and that you will remain friends.

As for property division however I have no idea how it works, but I’d say you should get in touch with a divorce lawyer. I think you don’t necessarily need a divorce lawyer to file for a divorce, but I’d say it’s best to at least talk to one, especially if you have questions about property division. A lawyer will be able to advise you and to help you with the whole process.

PixelPixie

That’s another thing we were wondering, if we could do it on our own or if we needed a divorce lawyer. It’s our first divorce (and our last, I hope) so we have no idea how it works…

BeanStalk

Yeah, it’s possible to fill out a divorce application on your own, but I think it’s best to do it with the help of a divorce lawyer. Divorce is a legal process, after all, so the best way to do it right is to do it with the help of a professional who knows how it works.

PixelPixie

Agreed. So we’ll need to find a divorce lawyer, on top of figuring out how to divide our property.

IQ180

You should visit Matrimonial Home’s website, there’s some information over there that could help you. From what I read here it seems like you and your soon to be ex-husband will not be fighting over anything, which is great, but I think it’s still helpful to learn more about what should happen to the home you own together. Hiring a divorce lawyer to help you with the legal processes should also help things run even more smoothly.

PixelPixie

Thank you. I checked that website, and I’ll send him the link too.

It says on the website that a spouse can’t sell the matrimonial home without the consent of the others… That’s something we didn’t consider, but I think it would make sense for us to do that, if he agrees: we could sell the home and split the money.

Anyway, I’ll see that with him, and I guess we’ll follow you guys’ advice and talk to a divorce lawyer. At first I wasn’t sure it would be necessary since we are in good terms, but I think it would be a good idea and it will make it more clear to us how we should proceed with the whole thing.

IQ180

That’s good.

And it’s nice that you and him are in good terms! If only all divorces were this simple… Unfortunately it’s far from being the case.

PixelPixie

Yeah, I think we’re lucky… Well, getting a divorce isn’t fun, but in our case we really feel that it will be for the best. We want to remain friends and we have a lot of respect for each other, you know, but we’ve grown apart in the last few years. It’s sad, but we know it will be better for both of us to go our separate ways.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.