How accurate are DNA tests?

Forum Value General Chat How accurate are DNA tests?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

GenuineGal

I have in interest in DNA testing, but how accurate are DNA tests? I have been thinking of taking one myself. For example, are all paternity tests the same? Would different labs show different results?

Cello

I think it is possible to get erroneous results. That’s what I’ve heard anyway. I think for a paternity DNA test, there may be more testing involved to get the most accurate results.

Bruce

It also depends on the lab you use. They may have their own protocol for doing things. Some may use the minimal resources that is legally required while others may be more extensive.

SouthernBelle

Personally, I think it’s all down to cost. To get the best and most accurate results, you need to pay for it. If not, the testing used may give results that could be ambiguous.

I know of a place called CRI Genetics that you may want to contact. Your concerns or questions will probably be answered, giving you a better picture.

IQ180

I think there are times it could be inaccurate for various reasons. However, I also think that if everything is done properly with no stone unturned, then it will be accurate.

For example, look at the world of forensics. Criminals are caught 20 years later because DNA results leave no doubt. When the numbers are something like one in one trillion or whatever, how can you argue with that? This can also exonerate an innocent person on death row. But things like this have to be paid for. There cannot be any level of contamination or it will not yield proper results.

Sometimes, a paternity DNA test can go wrong and the client is unaware of this. The unfortunate thing is, they assume the results were accurate and live their lives, never knowing the truth. You must use an accredited lab.

BeanStalk

I read somewhere that a paternity test is something like 99 percent accurate. However, this is taken to be conclusive. At the same time, if a man is considered not to be the biological father, then there is a 0 percentage probability of paternity. This would be considered 100 percent accurate.

Unfortunately, you cannot test every man in the whole world with a similar ethnic background. We all share a lot of the same DNA because we are human beings.

Because not every man in the world can be tested, I think this is why they say it is 99.99 percent accurate and not 100 percent. The important thing to remember is to have your tests done in a properly qualified or certified laboratory. There should be no mistakes on your part or theirs.

Shrimpy

I think the accuracy depends on the handling of samples, the reporting procedures involved and the computer systems used. Not every place will be the same. That’s why some places are better than others. You need to use a place that is really good.

Each place will have their own systems and methods. They will all meet with minimal requirements but one place will be better than the other one, if that makes sense.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.