Bought an old house. Need help with plumbing.

Forum Value General Chat Bought an old house. Need help with plumbing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • #1


    I recently bought on old house. It is my first home after years of living in rooms and apartments. I am just a little worried about things that could go wrong, especially with the plumbing.

    If anything does go wrong, how should I handle a plumbing emergency? I know I have to call someone, but until then, what do I do?



    I guess some of the more common occurrences would be drains and sinks getting blocked. Same goes for the toilet. Now THAT is a headache. If you cannot handle it yourself, then call the plumber.

    In the meantime, I suggest you take a look at all of your sinks and see if they drain normally or slowly. You said it is a pretty old house. I don’t know how the previous homeowners took care of it. If you see sinks draining slowly, chances are, you have a problem brewing, even though it seems OK for now.

    Same thing for the toilet. If it flushes nicely, then I guess you are alright. However, if it does not, you do not need to be an expert to realize that this is not normal. If you have to start flushing two or three times, I suggest you call a plumber before it gets out of hand.

    Something like that is already well on its way to becoming a big problem. It probably means there is a drain plugged somewhere. Imagine all that stuff overflowing and getting everywhere! No thanks!



    Funny you mentioned this. It does sometimes take a couple of flushes, but not that often. I suppose I better call a plumber to prevent it getting worse. The last thing I want is a clogged toilet, let alone one that does its own Niagara Falls impression!



    I would recommend my own plumber, Marco Plumbing because they are experienced, licensed plumbers. I’ve had cause to call them a few times over several years. These guys do residential (and commercial properties, I think?) They’re also insured.

    Of course, feel free to check around or get other recommendations. You are smart enough to get such information ready and not panic when something does happen.



    No matter which plumber you pick, just make sure they are licensed and insured. If not, don’t use them!


    Miss Venus

    Sometimes, you could have a burst pipe. This can be due to corrosion or frozen pipes. Obviously, you had better call an emergency plumber as soon as possible.

    Before you do, your main water line needs to be shut off. At least this can prevent any more damage. Then you better get on that phone!



    If you have leaks and can handle this yourself, then go for it. However, if you end up with leaks with the washing machine or dishwasher and you notice some flooding on your floors, then call someone. Do not handle the big stuff on your own. You might make things worse!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.