Bike Accidents: What should I do?

Forum Value General Chat Bike Accidents: What should I do?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Green Tea

Wow, I just escaped a VERY close brush with death earlier today. I’m still shaking right now. If my reflexes were just a second slower, I would probably be hospitalized.

What happened was that I almost got into a bicycle accident. Yup, you read that right – not a car accident, but a bicycle accident. I was riding my bike and going my merry way, and then all of a sudden, there’s this pedestrian who sprang out of nowhere. I swerved and avoided hitting her just in time, but phew, that was a very, very, very close call.

Almost getting into a bike accident had gotten me worried. What if I did hit the pedestrian? What should I have done?

IQ180

I have nothing to add, except to say that cyclists are the worst. Stay off the roads!

Warner

That sounded so dangerous! Be thankful that nobody got hurt!

I have never been involved in a bicycle accident before, but let’s hope neither of us will have to find out what the experience is like.

Grayson

If you did get into an accident, the other party may be able to get insurance from you. Legal assistance is required for compensation.

The victim may get insurance benefits from their car driver’s insurance. It depends if the victim or the victim’s spouse drives or not.

If they have insurance, they may be able to receive compensation that way. The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund could also give compensation and benefits.

Shrimpy

Assuming you are in an OK state after the accident, what you should do is call emergency services as soon as you feel OK to do so. You may still be a little dazed from the shock.

Even if you look and feel alright, you really should get yourself to the hospital. Sometimes, things can show up the next day. People have reported feeling alright and left the scene. A day later, they suspect something is not quite right. Do not take a chance.

Armstrong

After the accident, you should exchange information with the other party. The pedestrian should collect your name, license plate number, phone number and your insurance info.

In the event that you cannot do this yourself, you need to ask someone to help you. Do not undermine the importance of this. If you need a lawyer to help you with a personal injury claim, this is a very important initial step.

BowlingDude88

Nothing can compare to compelling photographic evidence. Everyone has a phone with a camera. If you get hit by a bicycle, you need to get as many relevant photos as you can. Get photos of your bike, of the car, of the scene and of any injuries you may have sustained.

Make a note of the weather and the weather conditions. Take photos of the road. There may be skid marks and this could tell an investigator something crucial.

Grayson

No one has mentioned the cops. After an accident, you should call the police and let them know what took place. Apart from reporting the accident to the police, they will also make a report of the accident.

Papa Bear

The right thing to do is to contact an accident lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can help you a great deal. The sooner you do this, the better. They will advise you immediately of what you can and cannot do. Let’s face it, you don’t have a clue, would you? The lawyers can prevent you from making mistakes.

For example, you should not discuss the incident with anyone. Most people probably will. Be careful. They will tell you not to post things on social media. If you do, you could end up on the losing side.

If you have suffered wage loss, injuries and expenses as a result of this, a good accident lawyer like Johnston Ming Manning can help get you compensation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.